Sunday, November 27, 2011

A very brief post-Thanksgiving post

Welcome back, all!  I hope everyone is returning rested and rejuvenated.  I had an amazing time with 40 family members at mom's barn, decorated perfectly.  I'm hoping to get a pic of it soon!
We were lucky enough to meet up with family and friends at my cousin's deb party (Congrats, C!) and during the weekend.  I'm particularly thankful for an incredibly fun, kind family and inspiring friends.
As some of you know, I've been diagnosed recently with Meniere's Disease-- a condition that affects its sufferers differently, and about which very little is known.  The result of this diagnosis is that I have to limit my sodium intake to 1000-1200 mg a day-- a challenge that is difficult enough without the holiday food.  So I was worried about my first Meniere's Thanksgiving, but found great solace in an ah-mazing soup from sodiumgirl.com. I've listed the ingredients below; check her website for the full recipe.
Sorry for such a short post; I'll be back Friday (after my first paper is due) with more.
Until then, stay hungry (and saltless!)

  • 1 teaspoon olive oil (or avocado oil for extra flavor)
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (116mg sodium per 1/4 lb, but most likely less if air-chilled and not plumped)
  • 4 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon no-salt added tomato paste (5 to 10 mg per tbsp)
  • 1, 10-oz can no-salt added black beans (30mg per can) – optional
  • Garnish: 2 to 4 green onions, sliced; 1 small red onion, diced; 1 avocado, diced; 1 lime, quartered; 1 jalapeno pepper or cayenne, diced or sliced; 1 cup shredded red cabbage (19mg per 1 cup); 2 tortillas, cut into strips